Penne Alla Vodka Baked Ziti

Baked Ziti is a great dish to make ahead of time, freeze for a later date or refrigerate for during the week. Although, I love the traditional ziti, I happen to love "stuff" in my ziti. The more the merrier. Baked ziti was made to be a "one pot wonder" so to speak. Give this one a try. This one is for 4 people as its just my daughter and I, so I try and keep things smaller for us. So double, tripe and quadruple for your family if necessary.
Ingredients:
1 lb. of sausage, no casings (I use patties)
1 can of crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes
1 cup of heavy cream
3 tbs. of butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 lb. of ziti
1 8 oz. container of ricotta cheese, I use low fat
1 bag of shredded mozzarella cheese, I use low fat
1 egg
3 tbs. olive oil
1 cup of vodka
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Directions:
I begin by heating the olive oil and butter. I then add in the red pepper flakes and let them heat up a minute or 2 so that the flavor pops. Then add in the sausage. Cook this until brown and add in onions and garlic. Cook onions until they start to become translucent. Add in crushed tomatoes,heavy cream, vodka salt and pepper. Let simmer for 30 minutes, but not necessary. Heat water for ziti and cook until almost al dente. Drain and add into pot of sauce. I do this so clean up is much easier. In another bowl I add in ricotta cheese, mozzarella, minus 1 cup and egg. Blend these together and add that to the pot of sauce. I spray the bottom of a medium size baking dish lightly and pour the mixture in. Then I top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake in at 375 degree preheated oven for 45-55 minutes. Remove, let sit for 5-10 minutes and serve with toasty bread and butter. Delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...